Rarities in the Winter Expo include a nearly complete 1900 Proof Set, an 1855 Proof Set, a rare Double Eagle, and two Continental dollars certified by NGC.
An upcoming Stack’s Bowers auction is offering two remarkable early Proof Sets that are certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company (NGC): one from 1855 and the other from 1900. Online bidding is already underway for Session 5 – Rarities Night of the November 2022 Official Auction of the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Winter Expo and will end on November 1, 2022. All coins in these sets are being sold as individual and consecutive lots.
The 1900 Proof Set is nearly complete, with only the Barber dime missing. All gold denominations are present, including a spectacular 1900 Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC PF-65 Cameo (lot 5141). Although there were only 124 pieces minted, the 1900 Double Eagle offers one of the higher mintages in Liberty Head Double Eagle series, though most have been impaired or mishandled, making stunning examples like these all the rarer.
The following coins from the 1900 Proof Set are also being offered in the auction:
- a 1900 Liberty Head Eagle graded NGC PF-65 Ultra Cameo (lot 5140)
- a 1900 Liberty Head Half Eagle graded NGC PF-66 Ultra Cameo (lot 5139)
- a 1900 Liberty Head Quarter Eagle graded NGC PF-65 Cameo and pedigreed to the Trompeter Collection (lot 5138)
- a 1900 Morgan dollar graded NGC PF-66 (lot 5137)
- a 1900 Barber half dollar graded NGC PF-67 (lot 5136)
- a 1900 Barber quarter graded NGC PF-66 (lot 5135)
- a 1900 Liberty Head nickel graded NGC PF-66 (lot 5134)
- a 1900 Indian cent graded NGC PF-65 RD (lot 5133)
Meanwhile, the 1855 Proof Set includes all silver and minor coinage, including everything from the Braided Hair half cent through the Seated Liberty dollar. The 1855 Seated Liberty silver dollar (lot 5132) has an estimated mintage of fewer than 100, making it extremely rare and its grade of NGC PF-65 Cameo even more impressive.
The following coins from the 1855 Proof Set are also being offered in the auction:
- an 1855 Seated Liberty Arrows quarter graded NGC PF-65 (lot 5130)
- an 1855 Seated Liberty Arrows dime graded NGC PF-66 Cameo (lot 5129)
- an 1855 Seated Liberty Arrows half dime graded NGC PF-63 (lot 5128)
- an 1855 silver three cents graded NGC PF-64 (lot 5127)
- an 1855 Braided Hair cent graded NGC PF-63 RB (lot 5126)
- an 1855 Braided Hair half cent graded NGC PF-62 BN (lot 5125)
Another interesting NGC-certified coin in the auction is a beautiful 1892 Liberty Head Double Eagle graded NGC PF-65★ Ultra Cameo (lot 5110). This elusive issue is hard to come by in such excellent condition since only 93 were struck, and some may have been spent during the hard economic downturn of 1892 and 1893. According to the auction house, only 35 examples are known in current numismatic circles.
Also featured in the auction are two stunning NGC-certified Pewter 1776 Continental dollars. The first displays the “CURENCY” spelling and has a grade of NGC MS-63 (lot 5002), while the second displays the “CURRENCY” spelling and has a grade of NGC MS-64 (lot 5003). Both are stunning examples that would enhance any collection.
Press release courtesy of the Numismatic Guaranty Company