Bidding had exceeded $95,000 several days before the auction in late August.
A rare 1873 Open 3 $3 gold piece graded NGC PF-66 Ultra Cameo leads a selection of hundreds of rare U.S. coins graded by Numismatic Guaranty Company (NGC) that are being offered by online auction house GreatCollections. Bidding for these coins ends on Sunday, August 28, 2022.
The $3 gold series ran from 1854 to 1889, an odd denomination that was designed to facilitate the purchase of a sheet of stamps. The 1873 issues have an important variety, known as Open 3, in which the knobs of the “3” in the date on the reverse are far apart. This makes it easier to distinguish the number as a “3” (as opposed to the Close 3 variety). Only a handful of Open 3 Proofs are known to exist, and this is the finest of seven listed in the NGC Census.
Several days before the sale, bidding for this coin had already risen by over $95,000.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the collection include:
- a 1908 Motto Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle graded NGC PF-66
- a 1908 Indian Quarter Eagle graded NGC PF-67
- a 1900 Liberty Gold Eagle graded NGC PF-67 Ultra Cameo
- a 1907 High Relief Wire Rim Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle MCMVII graded NGC MS-62
- an England (1584-86) Sovereign of Elizabeth I graded NGC AU-58
Press release courtesy of the Numismatic Guaranty Company