The Reserve Bank of New Zealand has issued new silver crown coins which feature one of the country’s oldest and still functioning lighthouses, the Tiritiri Matangi lighthouse. Also known as Tiritiri lighthouse, it is located on the island of the same name in Hauraki Gulf 28
Constructed in 1864 from cast iron, the light was first lit on the 1st January 1865, and was first automated in 1925 and used an acetylene burning revolving light. The height of the Lighthouse stands at 20
The coins are produced by the Royal Dutch Mint at their facilities in Utrecht, Netherlands, on behalf of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand, and are designed by Hannah Fortune. The reverse side shows the lighthouse guiding a sailboat towards Auckland Harbour. Its light beam integrates an
The obverse includes an effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II created by Ian Rank-Broadley and has been seen on all New Zealand circulation and many commemorative coins since 1999.
|One dollar||.999 Silver||31.1 g||40 mm||Proof with applied colour||1,500 Pieces|
The coin is encapsulated and housed in a custom presentation case and is accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity. As part of the motif on the reverse, the blue light beam is made of ultraviolet ink that glows under a black light. Together, with the specially designed presentation case that includes a UV light embedded in the lid of the coin box, the light beam shines brightly over its harbour setting and illuminates a yacht from the nearby city of sails, Auckland. For additional information about this coin and others
Leave a Reply