The auction features great rarities struck after the Revolutionary War from the Mike Coltrane Collection.
Dozens of coins that are certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) and pedigreed to two of the greatest collections of all time are being offered in a Heritage Auctions sale. Online bidding is already underway for The Estate of Mike Coltrane Collection of U.S. Coins Signature Auction 1350, which will be held November 2, 2022.
One of the top coins in the sale is a stunning 1793 Liberty Cap half cent graded NGC MS-64+ BN and pedigreed to the Donald G. Partrick Collection (lot 3040). These Liberty Cap half cents were the first of that denomination to be minted in the United States. This incredible example is one of the highest-graded in the NGC Census, with only two graded higher.
Another highlight in the auction is a New Jersey 1788 Head Left Copper pedigreed to the Partrick and Garrett Collections (lot 3034). With a grade of NGC MS-63 BN, this is the only known Mint State Head Left Copper. Most 1788 Coppers’ obverses have the horse’s head facing right.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- a New Jersey 1786 Bridle Copper graded NGC MS-66 RB and pedigreed to the Partrick and Norweb Collections (lot 3033)
- a 1792 Eagle & Stars Copper Washington President Pattern cent graded NGC EF-40 BN and pedigreed to the Eric P. Newman Collection (lot 3036)
- a 1794 high relief half cent graded NGC MS-64 RB and pedigreed to the Partrick and Lord St. Oswald Collections (lot 3041)
- a 1797 1/1 Plain Edge half cent graded NGC MS-65★ BN and pedigreed to the Donald G. Partrick Collection (lot 3043)
- an (1842-50) A. Bechtler $5 graded NGC AU-58+ and pedigreed to the Eric P. Newman Collection (lot 3084)
- an 1800 $10 graded NGC AU-58 and pedigreed to the Eric P. Newman Collection (lot 3081)
- an (1800) GW-71 Washington Funeral-Skull silver medal graded NGC EF-40 and pedigreed to the Donald G. Partrick Collection (lot 3038)
Press release courtesy of the Numismatic Guaranty Company