Each collection is the finest ever formed, a once-in-a-generation opportunity.
(Irvine, California) — GreatCollections is honored to announce the auction of the late Stewart Blay’s collections of Indian cents, Flying Eagle cents, and Barber dimes, each being the finest ever formed. The coins will be sold in two November auctions, and bidding will end on Sunday, November 12 and 19.
Stewart Blay, a legendary numismatist and sculptor based in New York, assembled the award-winning collections over the past 50 years. Earlier this year, GreatCollections auctioned the Blay Lincoln Cent collection for over $7.7 million, setting many world records.
“I am deeply appreciative to be entrusted with these coins by Stewart’s estate, and we expect spirited bidding. Since our auctions in January of Blay’s Lincoln cents, many collectors and dealers have been asking about the Indian cents, Flying Eagle cents, and Barber dimes, for which Stewart was also known. So many coins are considered the finest known, it is difficult to mention any single highlight,” said Ian Russell, president and cofounder of GreatCollections.
When pressed to mention a coin in each series, Russell answered “For Flying Eagle cents, the 1856 is out of this world — graded PCGS MS-66. And in Indian cents, despite the number of single-finest coins present, the 1877 stands out — nicknamed the Golden Princess — a freak of nature, graded PCGS MS-66+RD.
“One of my favorite coins in the whole Blay Collection is the 1893-O Barber dime, graded PCGS MS-68PL. I remember Stewart visiting the GreatCollections office during COVID-19 and showing me this coin specifically. It was minted for a special purpose in New Orleans.”
All of the coins have been graded by Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). The sets are currently ranked #1 on MyCollect’s and PCGS’s Set Registry programs. Highlights from the Stewart Blay Collection of Flying Eagle cents include:
GreatCollections will also auction duplicates from the Stewart Blay Collection in November. For more information, please contact GreatCollections at 1-800-442-6467 or visit www.greatcollections.com.
- 1856 Flying Eagle cent PCGS MS-66
- 1857 Flying Eagle cent PCGS MS-66+
- 1858/7 Flying Eagle cent PCGS MS-65
Highlights from the Stewart Blay Collection of Indian Cents include:
- 1860 Indian cent Pointed Bust PCGS MS-67+
- 1864 Indian cent PCGS MS-67+RD
- 1864 Indian cent L on Ribbon PCGS MS-66+RD
- 1865 Indian cent Plain 5 PCGS MS-66+RD
- 1866 Indian cent PCGS MS-66RD
- 1868 Indian cent PCGS MS-66+RD
- 1869/69 Indian cent PCGS MS-66+RD
- 1873 Indian cent Closed 3 PCGS MS-66RD
- 1873 Indian cent Doubled Liberty PCGS MS-64RD
- 1876 Indian cent PCGS MS-67RD
- 1877 Indian cent PCGS MS-66+RD
- 1878 Indian cent PCGS MS-67RD
- 1882 Indian cent PCGS MS-67+RD
- 1883 Indian cent PCGS MS-67RD
- 1884 Indian cent PCGS MS-67RD
- 1885 Indian cent PCGS MS-67RD
- 1886 Indian cent Variety 1 PCGS MS-66+RD
- 1887 Indian cent PCGS MS-67RD
- 1892 Indian cent PCGS MS-67RD
- 1895 Indian cent PCGS MS-67+RD
- 1897 Indian cent PCGS MS-67+RD
Highlights from the Stewart Blay Collection of Barber Dimes include:
- 1892 Barber dime PCGS MS-68
- 1893-O Barber dime PCGS MS-68PL
- 1893-S Barber dime PCGS MS-67
- 1894-O Barber dime PCGS MS-67+
- 1895-O Barber dime PCGS MS-67
- 1898-O Barber dime PCGS MS-66+
- 1905-O Barber dime Micro O PCGS MS-66+
- 1911 Barber dime PCGS MS-68
GreatCollections, the official auction house of the American Numismatic Association, specializes in auctioning certified coins and banknotes, handling transactions from start to finish. Since its founding in 2010, GreatCollections has successfully auctioned over one million certified coins, making it one of the leading certified coin companies in the United States, with annual sales in 2022 exceeding $270 million. Ian Russell, owner/president of GreatCollections, is a member of the prestigious Professional Numismatists Guild, a member of the National Auctioneers Association, and was recently named the ANA Harry J. Forman Dealer of the Year. For more information about GreatCollections, visit www.greatcollections.com or call 800-442-6467.
Press release courtesy of the Professional Coin Grading Service