The United States Mint has started accepting orders for the 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set. This represents the first appearance of the five latest designs of the program and the first US Mint numismatic product of the year.
Each set includes five quarter-dollars struck in a composition of 90% silver and 10% copper. The coins are struck at the San Francisco Mint through a minting process which involves striking specially prepared blanks multiple times with specially polished dies. The resulting coins feature sharp relief, mirrored backgrounds, and frosted designs for a cameo effect.
The 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters feature the following designs:
- White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire with a depiction of Mt. Chocorua, the easternmost peak of the Sandwich Range, framed by birch trees.
- Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial in Ohio with a depiction of the statue of Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry with the Peace Memorial located in the distance.
- Great Basin National Park in Nevada with the depiction of a single Bristlecone Pine tree and the rocky glacial moraines where the trees grow.
- Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine in Maryland with a depiction of the annual “Defenders Day” celebration.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota with an image of men who are adding the final details to Thomas Jefferson’s face.
The five coins of each set are packaged in a protective lens and outer box, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. Each set is priced at $41.95 plus applicable shipping and handling. There are no stated product limits or household ordering limits. Orders may be placed online at http://catalog.usmint.gov/
Throughout the year, the 2013 quarters will also be released for general circulation and in various other numismatic products.