The March sale includes dozens of other rarities certified by NGC.
Two rare cents graded by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) — one from the dawn of U.S. coinage and the other with the familiar bust of President Lincoln — are part of an upcoming auction. Bidding is already underway for the Stack’s Bowers Rarities Night auction, which is scheduled for March 25, 2021.
A 1794 Liberty Cap cent (S-37) graded NGC VF-20 BN and pedigreed to the Mervis Collection (lot 4012) is the top NGC-certified coin in the sale. There are 58 Sheldon varieties of the 1794 Liberty Cap cent, but this coin is the single most elusive specimen, with fewer than 20 known examples, according to Stack’s Bowers. Known as the “Steigerwalt variety,” it was named after coin dealer Charles Steigerwalt, who was the first to observe it and make note of it in 1900.
Another highlight is a 1922 No D Lincoln cent graded NGC MS-63 RB (lot 4035), one of the finest-graded examples. The “D” mintmark below the year was inadvertently polished out of the obverse die in an effort to remove clash marks. The severe polishing also softened all other details on the obverse.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- 1798 Draped Bust cent (S-161) graded NGC MS-63 BN (lot 4017)
- 1800 Draped Bust half dime graded NGC MS-65 (lot 4055)
- 1815 Capped Bust quarter (B-1) graded NGC MS-65 (lot 4064)
- 1820 Capped Bust quarter (B-4) graded NGC MS-66 (lot 4065)
- 1832 Capped Bust quarter (B-2) graded NGC MS-65 (lot 4068)
- 1807 Capped Bust half dollar (O-112) graded NGC MS-64+ (lot 4083)
- 1813 Capped Bust half dollar (O-105) graded NGC MS-64+ (lot 4089)
- 1814/3 Capped Bust half dollar (O-101a) graded NGC MS-64 (lot 4090)
- 1818/7 Capped Bust half dollar (O-101a) graded NGC MS-64+ (lot 4092)
- 1821 Capped Bust half dollar (O-107) graded NGC MS-64★ (lot 4096)
- 1825 Capped Bust half dollar (O-104) graded MS-67 (lot 4098)
- 1829 Capped Bust half dollar (O-111) graded NGC MS-64+★ (lot 4101)
- 1885 Liberty Head quarter eagle graded NGC Proof 64 Ultra Cameo (lot 4143)
- 1860 Liberty Head double eagle graded NGC MS-61 and pedigreed to the SS Republic (lot 4176)
- 1926-D Saint-Gaudens double eagle graded NGC MS-63 (lot 4186)
- Complete 1867 Proof Set of Minor and Silver Coinage (10 coins) graded NGC PF-64 Cameo to NGC PF-67 (lot 4195)
Press release courtesy of the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.