The Perth Mint has issued a limited mintage set of collectible coins inspired by five famous ballets. The set of five one ounce silver coins feature scenes from Don Quixote, The Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, and Cinderella.
The reverse of each coin features a scene from each ballet against a colored colored background designed by Aleysha Howarth. The Perth Mint’s “P” mint mark is also incorporated. A description of each reverse design follows:
- Don Quixote: Depicts Kitri, the innkeeper’s daughter, dancing in a marketplace surrounded by symbolic imagery of her village and a windmill.
- The Sleeping Beauty: Depicts Prince Florimund and Princess Aurora at their wedding surrounded by stylized imagery of thorny ivy and a castle.
- The Nutcracker: Depicts Clara dancing with the Nutcracker prince and a winter scene with snow covered trees in the background.
- Swan Lake: Depicts the dying swan surrounded by imagery representing a lake in the forest.
- Cinderella: Depicts Cinderella dancing with a straw broom and imagery of pumpkins and a pumpkin carriage
The obverse of each coin bears the Raphael Maklouf effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II with the “2010” date and legal tender value.
Each coin contains one ounce of .999 fine silver and is legal tender under the authority of the Government of Tuvalu.
The Perth Mint offers the coins in complete five coin proof sets, with a mintage limit of just 2,500. Each set includes a numbered certificate of authenticity and is housed in a presentation case with illustrated shipper. The offering is priced at AUD $406.82.
[Online: Perth Mint Product Page]