The Perth Mint has released the platinum coins for the 2012 Discover Australia Program. This program is inspired by Australia’s rich landscape and unique wildlife and also includes gold and silver coins, which have already been released.
The new platinum coins represent a one year series, which depicts five different animals against colored backgrounds. The designs include:
- a Kookaburra perched on a branch among green leaves of a gum tree
- a Whale Shark swimming through blue ocean waters
- a Red Kangaroo jumping across the ochred colored earth of the Australian outback
- a Goanna resting on yellow desert sand
- a Green and Gold Bell Frog resting on green reeds
The obverse of each coin features the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.
Each coin is struck to proof quality from 1/10 ounce of 99.95% pure platinum. The mintage for each design is just 1,000 pieces.
The coins may be purchased either individually or within a complete five coin set. The individual coins come in a display case with colored shipper and numbered certificate of authenticity. The five coin sets come in a single display case and include numbered certificates of authenticity for each coin.
Find additional information or place orders for each of the 2012 Discover Australia Platinum coins.