Pewter coin from the founding of the United States is graded NGC MS-65.
A rare coin from the founding of the United States and certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) realized $180,000 in an October 17, 2019, sale presented by Heritage Auctions.
The pewter coin, graded NGC MS-65, is a Continental dollar, which all are dated 1776, the year when the Continental Congress declared the independence of the 13 colonies.
Other NGC-certified coins that topped the U.S. Coins Signature Auction in Dallas include:
- A 1915-S Panama-Pacific Round $50 commemorative graded NGC MS-64. Realized: $96,000.
- A 1915-S Panama-Pacific Octagonal $50 commemorative graded NGC MS-63. Realized: $81,000.
- An 1810 Large Date half eagle graded NGC MS-65. Realized: $69,000.
- An 1879-CC double eagle graded NGC MS-60. Realized: $43,200.
- A 1951 Franklin half dollar graded NGC PF-67+ Ultra Cameo. Realized: $40,800.
- A 1926-D Indian Head nickel graded NGC MS-67. Realized: $38,400.
- A 1969-S cent with a doubled-die obverse and graded NGC MS-63 BN. Realized: $37,200.
Prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Press release courtesy of the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation.