The Magyar Nemzeti Bank (National Bank of Hungary) have issued (28th September) a new collector’s coin which marks the centennial year of Scouting in Hungary, an anniversary widely welcomed by many of its participants nationally.
Scouting in Hungary was formed as early as 1910, just two years after its initial formation by the movement’s founder, Lord Robert Stevenson Smyth Baden-Powell in the United Kingdom. The official Hungarian Scout Association was founded the 28th of December 1912 with its home in the reformed church on the Kálvin square in Budapest. From this day on, there has always been a scouting movement in Hungary in some capacity. During the years of the First World War, its development was halted, but after the war, scouting and its activities started to bloom again. Sadly, Scouting was banned during the critical years following World War II but the education and the spirit of scouting was continued in secrecy. Scouting was later permitted again with the scout movement and the pioneer movement merging together. In 1989, the Hungarian Scout Association was officially re-formed and today, the Hungarian Scout Association is open to everyone who accepts its principles and spirit. The Hungarian Scout Association now has eight successor organizations in other countries, beyond the borders of today’s Hungary, which cooperate with each other and organize camps and events together.
Struck by the Hungarian Mint, this exceptional coin with its twelve sides is the work of artist Zoltán Toth and depicts a detailed bugle blower in uniform facing to the left along with the text “MAGYAR CSERKESZSZOVETSEG” (Hungarian Scouting). The reverse includes a true reproduction of the Hungarian Scouting insignia, that of the fleur-de-lys with the crown of St. Stephen superimposed on its surface which is positioned to the right half of the coin. The year of issue “2012” is seen just to the upper left side of the insignia. The coin carries a 100 Forint face value, also in recognition of the centennial anniversary.
Struck in cupro-nickel to both proof and FDC quality, the coin weighs 10 grams and has a diameter of 30 mm. Mintage figures for the Proof version is 10,000 pieces and the FDC version has an authorized mintage of 5,000 pieces. The dodecagonal shape chosen for this commemorative coin is the first such shape among Hungarian forint coins.
For more information on this and other coins offered by the Hungarian Mint, please visit their website at: http://coins.hu/ International orders fulfilled.