Fort McHenry, located in Baltimore, Maryland, was named after James McHenry, a surgeon-soldier during the American Revolutionary War, a delegate to the Continental Congress, a signer of the United States Constitution, and the Secretary of War under Presidents Washington and John Adams. The fort defended Baltimore during the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. It also served as a military prison during the American Civil War, and as an Army hospital during World War I. Its defense during the War of 1812 provided the context for Francis Scott Key’s poem that became the National Anthem.
The Fort McHenry National Monument Quarter depicts the oversized flag sewn by Mary Pickersgill, fireworks symbolizing the “rocket’s red glare”, as well as a portion of the star-shaped outer wall. Also included in the design are the incused phrases “Fort McHenry”, “Maryland”, and “E Pluribus Unum”, as well as the date of issue. The coin will represent the fourth issue of the United States Mint’s America the Beautiful Quarters Program for 2013 and the nineteenth release for the program overall.
A circulation release date of August 26, 2013 has been indicated by Federal Reserve Bank Services.
An official launch ceremony for the coin will be held on Friday, September 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM ET. The ceremony will be held at the Fort McHenry National Monument and Shrine at 2400 E. Fort Ave, Baltimore, Maryland 21230. A coin exchange will begin immediately following the launch event where attendees will be able to exchange currency for rolls of the new Fort McHenry Quarters.
The Fort McHenry quarter will also be available from the U.S. Mint in the following products:
- in 2-roll sets from the Philadelphia and Denver mints
- in 3-roll sets from the Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco mints
- in a single roll from the San Francisco mint
- in 100-coin bags from the Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco mints
- as part of the 2013 America the Beautiful Quarter Proof Set and Silver Proof Set
- as part of the 2013 Uncirculated Mint Set
- as part of the 2013 Proof Set and Silver Proof Set
- in the 2013 Fort McHenry Quarter Three-Coin Set
- as part of the 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters Uncirculated Coin Set
- as part of the 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set
The design will also be released as part of the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins.