(Woodland Hills, California) October 10, 2019 — The all-time finest collection of Morgan silver dollars that was publicly revealed for the first time earlier this year now is being offered for sale intact. Known as The Illinois Set, the collection is ranked all-time finest in five different circulation strike Morgan dollar categories in the popular PCGS Set Registry.
The 117-coin set has a record-setting PCGS grade point average of 66.59. It contains 51 coins that are the finest-known: 15 that are the single finest and 36 others that are tied for finest-known. The set’s grade point average surpasses such famous Hall of Fame and previous top Morgan dollar circulation strike sets as Jack Lee, Coronet Collection, California1 and IPS.
“This amazing set of superb quality coins was quietly and patiently acquired over the past 14 years by an Illinois manufacturing company owner whose now completed goal was to assemble the all-time finest collection of its kind,” said Barry Stuppler of Mint State Gold by Stuppler and Company in Woodland Hills, California, who assisted the anonymous collector.
The price for the intact collection is $9.7 million.
“The owner would get more money if the Illinois Set coins were offered individually in a major auction, but he wants to keep this historic collection intact. The eventual new owner will acquire the finest Morgan dollar set ever,” Stuppler stated.
Highlights of the collection include:
- 1880-CC PCGS MS-68 PQ, single finest-known, ex. Jack Lee.
- 1883-S, PCGS MS-67+ PL PQ/CAC, single finest-known, ex. Eliasberg.
- 1884-S, PCGS MS-67 CAC, ex. Jack Lee.
- 1885-CC PCGS MS-68+ CAC, single finest-known, ex. Jack Lee.
- 1892-CC PCGS MS-67+ PQ/CAC, single finest-known.
- 1893-S PCGS MS-65 CAC.
- 1901 PCGS MS-66, single finest-known, ex. Jack Lee.
- 1903-S PCGS MS-67+, single finest-known, ex. Eliasberg.
These are the five PCGS Set Registry categories with the Illinois Set now listed as all-time finest:
- 97-coin Morgan Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes, 1878-1921, grade point average 67.08.
- 117-coin Morgan Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation 1878-1921, GPA 66.59.
- 26-coin New Orleans Morgan Dollars, Circulation Strike 1879-1904, GPA 66.67.
- 29-coin Philadelphia Morgan Dollars, Circulation Strike 1878-1921, GPA 67.29.
- 28-coin San Francisco Morgan Dollars, Circulation Strike 1878-1921, GPA 67.10.
Press release courtesy of Mint State Gold.